Melissa Ann Goodwin

Melissa Ann Goodwin

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sixty Miles from San Antonio

Hello dear friends,

We've made it to about one hour (maybe two by RV time) outside of San Antonio, Texas - the first major stop on our route. We're staying a week, and look forward to seeing the Riverwalk, the Alamo and the Japanese Tea Garden especially. RVPainter lived in San Antonio 50 years ago when he was stationed at Kelley Air Force Base in 1962. Even then, before they fixed up the Riverwalk and made it a tourist destination, he liked it a lot. I was not with him then, because I was only in the second grade. :)

We'll be two days early arriving, as we left Santa Fe two days earlier than expected. It's been a wild ride - sometimes literally - but also figuratively. I've been on a roller coaster with emotions: sadness over a phase of life ending and saying goodbye to dear friends; fear of the unknown, excitement for a new adventure; fear of the unknown; happiness at knowing I'll be seeing friends and family along the way and spending more time at the ocean; and did I mention fear of the unknown???

Now I am settling into the rhythm of things and my emotions are settling down too. I am not the boldest or the bravest gal you'll ever meet, but my experience has been that, once I take the leap (or am pushed off the cliff), I adapt very well.

I plan to post once or twice a week, sharing pictures and stories of where we are or have been. We should have more consistent Wifi now (there are some black holes in southern NM and across TX, where even the GPS thinks you are NOWHERE), and I want to spend more time catching up with what you all have to say. Did you catch that - y'all? By the time we leave Texas, I'll be drawlin' like Sue Ellen Ewing.

Thanks so much for your support during my first month of this journey. I've been keeping a journal and I think down the road there may be a memoir in all this. A journey, physical and spiritual, to learn what it means to be at home in the world, wherever I go.

XOXO

13 comments:

  1. Good for you, Melissa! I expect that memoir will be amazing. Be sure to write down every little detail and thought during this trip!!! I'm glad you're having fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, I will especially try to capture the feelings, and I'll help remind myself with lots of photos :D Thank you so much for being out there.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous5/01/2012

    I would imagine it will take you a while to adapt to your new lifestyle but it sounds like you are an open minded soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your hubby is going to be dissapointed in the Riverwalk because it is nothing but tourist but the Alamo and all is still real nice. Look forward to hear of your experiences and hope they will all be good ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually enjoy being tourists ourselves, so we'll be okay with that. I'm especially looking forward to the Japanese Tea Garden.

      Delete
  4. It was a short drive but a long one!!!! Driving thru a city is very complex in that everyone else is in a rush and they drive fast and crazy as they know where they are going!


    I'm looking very forward to the Riverwalk - as tourists we are and from what I've seen in photos it is just our cup of tea. The Alamo I was not impressed with 50 years ago - I found myself asking why they defended such a tiny little adobe!???! The Tea Garden and the Zoo were my favorites and I'm sure they have gotten better. I want to do the Mission walk as well and the Botanical Gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are enjoying your adventure. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy that the emotive roller coaster is at last starting to settle. And thank you for taking us on this amazing journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must be feeling so free right now. Just going with the flow and enjoying everything your country has to offer. I hope you don't spend too long in Nowhere though, that doesn't sound fun at all lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5/02/2012

    I look forward to reading your posts. Have a wonderful time out on the open road. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are off to the Riverwalk in San Antonio today - have wanted to see this for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Melissa, . . . I've been away from blogging for the past month as I, too, was pursuing a dream. And like you, there's been "fear of the unknown." Writing my post yesterday helped me sum up the month of April and appreciate where I am today that I wasn't a month ago.

    I'm sorry to have missed your postings on getting the RV and setting out. But I'm so glad that you are going to share this adventure with us.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!